Robin and I decided ahead of time that he would post a good video, and I would post a video that, well, sucks. I had fun demonstrating just about every mistake you can make!
It was a risky move because I don't let on until the end that I'm intentionally making bad video. Fortunately, Christina Thomas from Yukon College got it!
I almost didn't last until the end when you let the "cat out of the bag".
So what did I do wrong in this video? Here's a start on a list. I'll keep adding as more comments roll in:
- Um, don't call your students "folks" or "guys"
- My opening words, the tone, and the HAT make you think I’d rather be doing something else.
- I did a terrible job of lighting – never have the light behind your head. And also don't wear a hat that covers your face!
- The background setting is nasty – ugly, dirty tarp outside the window, a pile of stuff on a bench...
- Background noise! I grabbed a recording of dogs barking from BBC Sound Effects because my own dogs were sleeping.
- I read my script, rustled paper, and rarely looked at the camera.
- I told my viewers all about course elements instead of actually show them.
- I used my phone and held it vertically. Never do this! Only horizontal!
- I move around to give that Blair Witch effect.
Sign up by Monday, June 11, 2018 (today!) if you'd like to join the fun - it's open and free.