Sunday, November 29, 2009

Wordpress Multi-User

Ever dream of running hundreds of thousands of blogs with a single install of WordPress? WordPress MU, or multi-user, is designed to do exactly that.
Several post-secondary institutions in British Columbia are using WordPress MU -- UBC, UNBC, Langara, Camosun... (I've missed some, I'm sure.) What's interesting is to see WordPress MU being used for for variety of purposes. We think of it as blogging software, but in fact it is a very flexible content management system (CMS) and is being used at these institutions for developing professional e-portfolios (see UBC's Faculty of Education e-portfolios for teacher candidates), maintaining department websites (see Langara's iweb), and managing course content and discussions. In fact Clint Lalonde from Camusun has begun to document the process of piloting WordPress MU at Camosun College, and he offers this advice about referring to WordPress MU as a blogging tool:
I’ve avoided using the word blog when I refer to these sites. I’ve found that the term blog carries with it preconceived notions, both good and bad. So, in order to avoid the whole “I don’t want a blog, I want a website” circular logic wheel that I have witnessed when people talk about WP as a CMS, I have been using the term website when talking about our pilot sites.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that we should avoid the term blog. While it is blogging software, Wordpress MU is actually a very good CMS. It is simple to use and is an easy way to allow departments or instructors to publish pages on the web, while still keeping the look-and-feel of the organization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work! That is the type of information that are meant to be shared around the net. Shame on the seek engines for no longer positioning this publish upper! Come on over and discuss with my site . Thanks=)

    Here is my web page>>오피


    ReplyDelete