Tuesday, May 10, 2016

We're off and running with FDO


This week we kicked off the Facilitator Development Online (FDO) workshop. FDO is an intensive two weeks, online (both asynchronous and synchronous) and is for individuals who are interested in facilitating Facilitating Learning Online (FLO) in the future, either at their institutions, or the provincial offering through BCcampus/SCoPE. It can be a tongue twister, because you say the word facilitate a lot! And it's very meta -- a little bit like the tutor who tooted the flute, who tried to teach the tutors to toot...

I plan to post quick notes about the FDO experience as we go along. Journaling is a highly recommended practice in this workshop, and I know from my own history of jotting down notes here and there, combined with ever-improving search skills, I've come to rely heavily on my own notes about my FLO and FDO experiences.

These workshops are behind closed doors, and for good reason. However, the result is that very little is shared outside of the workshops -- and there is so much fabulous stuff happening. By using my blog to jot down some notes, then maybe others will get a glimpse of what goes on and want to hop on the FLO-FDO train. And I know if I commit to anything other than quick notes I'll never hit that 'publish' button!

So, to start, here's a copy of my FDO introduction.




So happy to be here! I'm beaming in from Lac Le Jeune -- a small community up in the mountains between Merritt and Kamloops. I've been facilitating online for 20 years and continue to be amazed how much fun, energy, and learning happens with a piece of hardware as an interface. Computer monitors are bigger, mobile devices provide more flexibility, content is everywhere, the number of new apps to try increases every minute, but the common thread throughout the years has been the opportunity to build community and learn together. That's what I get excited about every single day. 

This little comic strip was created using StoryBoardThat. It should be quick and easy, but there are so many silly little objects you can drag into your strip it can keep you up way past your bedtime. True story :)

No comments:

Post a Comment